The Addison on Amelia is committed to providing a luxurious, warm and welcoming retreat for our guests while maintaining a positive balance with the local and global environment to meet the growing public demand for a “greener” lifestyle. While the Addison strives to deliver exceptional comfort and service to each guest, it continues to incorporate newer products and ecologically-minded “green lodging” practices to ensure the health and safety of our guests at our environmentally friendly bed and breakfast and that the natural beauty of northeast Florida is preserved for future generations to visit and enjoy.
Here at the Addison we encourage our guests to indulge in the amenities offered at the inn “guilt free” as a means to renew and restore their own personal energy which is often depleted from the demands of everyday life.
The Addison is an environmentally friendly bed and breakfast committed to:
- Working diligently to minimize the amount of waste going into our landfills and to conserve our natural resources particularly through energy and water conservation and by recycling all materials possible, reusing non-recyclables as dictated by common sense, sanitary conditions and ability of a material to be reused
- Making environmental considerations part of our everyday business decision-making process including but not limited to purchasing products made from recycled materials, purchasing energy star rated appliances, buying local, and buying products in bulk and supporting the local community;
- Valuing the natural and cultural heritage of northeast Florida and to help guests enjoy and appreciate an authentic local experience;
- Complying with all applicable environmental laws and striving to follow best environmental practice in all facets of operations without compromising guest comfort;
- Building local partnerships with other inns and businesses to strengthen business relationships and the sense of “community” and to effect positive awareness and practice changes toward the protection of our natural resources, local culture and the environment;
- Soliciting feedback and suggestions from our guests regarding the inn’s environmental practices;
- Identifying areas for environmental improvements in our green lodging operations and continuing to make improvements that promote conservation and reduce the waste stream and carbon footprint of our business.
Green Lodging Practices at the Addison on Amelia
- Widespread use of compact fluorescent bulbs and LED lights
- Use of dimmable lights and timers throughout common areas
- Individually controlled heat and air conditioning zones in most guestrooms
- Use of 100% cotton sheets, towels and coverlets (Cotton and bamboo items do not add VOC’s to the air in guestrooms. Synthetic fabrics are not sustainable and use petrochemicals for manufacture.)
- Use of biodegradable amenities with biodegradable cornstarch bottles for bath and biodegradable, hypoallergenic amenities in a dispenser systems for showers (Our amenities use no animal by-products and do not use animals for testing)
- Purchase and use of energy efficient appliances
- Donations of old furniture, china, linens to local charities
- Donation of old linens and towels for re-use at Animal Shelters, old bathrobes, unused shampoos/conditioners and unclaimed guest clothing to local charities
- Recycling centers in guestrooms and common areas for newspapers, plastic, glass and metals; housekeepers are trained to remove recyclable goods from rooms (i.e. newspapers, plastic bottles, soda cans)
- Post placards to announce waste reduction options and available guest participation in being “green”
- Use of eco-friendly cleaning products
- Purchase concentrated cleaning supplies in bulk and use refillable bottles
- Purchase phosphate free laundry soaps in bulk and recycle plastic soap containers
- Use of daily newspapers available centrally to all guests instead of automatically to all guest rooms
Contact us to learn more about the green lodging practices of our environmentally friendly breakfast on Amelia Island, Florida.